Thursday, January 13, 2011

Empire Builder, Part II.

I woke up somewhere just outside of Hastings, right at the Minnesota version of the Bermuda Triangle where there is no phone service. I stared out the window, trying to figure out how long I'd been asleep. The dark trees stood out against the winter sky, tinged with a reddish glow of 10pm. The snow seemed like an ocean, encompassing everything around it, and the rare street lamp seemed to be surrounded by a gauzy haze. It was like a movie, a fairytale. Peaceful, serene, and sweet.

I was jolted from this storybook by a sharp lurch forward. Groggy and one foot still in the reverie, I was sure we had gone over a bump or something normal. I leaned back against my seat again, breathing deeply, concentrating on the string of street lamps that illuminated the darkness far off against the highway.

I was physically thrown forward by another jolt, as if kicked from behind. I glanced around at my fellow passengers for recognition, a sign that they were all as confused as I was by the sudden change in atmosphere. To my surprise, nobody seemed to notice, or if they noticed, they didn't care. I furrowed my brow, upset by the sharp and physical reminder that I was taking public transportation.

The third jolt was as if I'd been punched in the back of the head. At this point I had deduced that it was not, in fact, nature that was causing my uncomfortability. I sat straight up and turned around, staring into the large brown eyes of a small child. He giggled, flashing a horrific set of baby teeth at me. I looked to his legal guardian sleeping soundly next to him. Mouth agape, Oblivious Mother was snoring in such a way that indicated that she was mentally thousands of miles away from her terror of a kid. I gave him my professionally practiced Stink Eye and sat back into my seat. That look was surely that of children's nightmares - Scary Twentysomething on Amtrak Frightens Child with Just One Stare. I was satisfied with my retaliation.

The fourth jolt was just uncalled for, and vindictive, if you ask me. I turned back around, stared into the mischevious eyes and said very plainly, "Stop it. Stop it right now."

A quick snort from Oblivious Mother and she was immediately completely functional. "I'm sorry," she snapped, the fire of a dozen dragons in her breath, "what makes you think you can talk to him that way?" She cradled her nightmare of a misbehaved child into her body, as if I had physically attacked her spawn. Mama Bear woke up and she was pissed.

I stuttered for a second. I wasn't sure how to talk to Momzilla. If I had rationally explained the situation, chances were good that I would be the only one to see reason. The cheese would surely stand alone, because it was me versus her stupid kid.

I did the only thing I could think of to do - I apologized profusely for my rudeness. How dare I speak to your child!! How dare I think that I could even glance upon his face?? Oh, my dearest, most sincere of apologies, ma'am. I see the error of my ways and will forever be changed by this experience.

I sat back in a huff and stared down the child's reflection in the window. He knew better than to do it a fifth time, but I'm really not sure why. Was he scared of the crazy lady's overacting and sugary sweet apologies? Maybe I did the kid a favor. Be scared of phonies, young boy. And don't touch people on trains.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right after they got off the train Momzilla and her spawn probably went to Best Buy. At said store the little shit probably started yelling at her, demanding his new video game and decrying her cruelty for not having already purchased said game. The next time they are on the train the demon seed will be playing said video game, become bored, and then choose to entertain himself by, you guessed it, kicking the sleeping person in front of him.

And so the cycle continues...