Monday, January 10, 2011

Empire Builder

I am on the train right now.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a frequent passenger of the Amtrak, but I've taken it about a dozen times, which is about eleven times more than the majority of people that I know.

I've been contemplating my train circumstances for slightly over two hours now. Is this a good mode of transportation? Is it a well-kept secret in the twentysomething company I keep? Or is it just a very large vehicle filled with smelly people who talk loudly on their cell phones?

I know. I'll make a pros/cons list.

-PRO: it's incredibly easy to travel long distances alone.
-CON: it's easy for anyone to do. This includes my two least favorite demographics - large families with small children and the elderly.
-PRO: the trips are usually quite scenic. Right now, for example, it's a beautiful scene of snow-covered trees and quaint homes. It's like one of those paintings. By that guy.
-CON: I'm freezing.
-PRO: there is absolutely no hassle of waiting in line for security.
-CON: there is no security. At all. None.
-PRO: the stops are frequent enough that you can ride to a fair amount of places, but not too many that it slows the trip or make it annoying.
-CON: Wisconsin Dells is a stop, attracting Unwanted Demographic #1. At least it's winter.
-PRO: fairly cost-efficient. My ticket cost $24.
-CON: it's about the same amount of money as filling someone's tank and having them drive you there. And it takes about the same amount of time.

In truth, the pros really do outweigh the cons. If you're looking for the romanticized slice of Americana that old literature and folk songs promise, this ain't it. In reality it's literally just another way to travel. It's much more comfortable than an airplane, but it's less businessmen and more average joes. I feel very middle class when on a train but it gets it done. And really, whatever lets me just get away.

This stream-of-consciousness post brought to you by three hours of sleep and shitty instant coffee.

(I think the guy behind me has a serious medical issue. His snoring is deeply concerning.)

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Thanks for the Amtrak pros/cons list.

I've been considering traveling in this fashion for quite some time, considering I too do not drive these days.

I know where you went and these days that would cost more than $24, not much more, but more none-the-less. Was this price just for the one way or round trip?

Either way, I'll probably go somewhere on it soon enough, just for the train experience.

Remind me to bring a cattle cracking whip when I do for personal security.